Almond lace cookies
Recipe: Almond lace cookies.pdf
Makes: about 20 cookies
30g finely chopped unblanched almonds
60g unsalted butter
60g white sugar
1 tbsp cream
1½ tsps plain flour
a few drops of vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 190C and line two sturdy baking sheets (that do not warp in the oven) with baking paper.
- Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Drop the batter by level teaspoons onto your lined trays, four inches apart. Bake in batches for 5 minutes or until cookies are caramel coloured. Use new paper each time.
- When you remove the cookies from the oven let them cool slightly, then when cool and firm enough to handle but still warm and flexible, gently lift them up and roll them around the handle of a wooden spoon to shape them into a scroll, with the top side facing outwards. Set on a rack to cool.
- Unless you live somewhere extremely dry you need to eat the cookies very soon or they will absorb humidity from the air and go soft. Sometimes I have success storing them overnight in an airtight container with kitchen paper and silica gel sachets!