Rhubarb and yoghurt cake
This cake is so easy – you can throw it together in ten minutes. It always goes down really well when we make it in cooking classes. Rhubarb, orange and yoghurt make a delicious combination. But you could omit the orange flower water, or substitute rose water, or just use vanilla. Enjoy the cake warm or cold, at tea time or for dessert. It pairs beautifully with a dollop of creamy yoghurt. The recipe is adapted from one by Leanne Kitchen.
Recipe: Rhubarb and yoghurt cake.pdf
300g rhubarb (forced or field), thinly sliced
310g self-raising flour
230g caster sugar
zest of one orange
pinch of salt
125g plain yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp orange flower water
125g unsalted butter, melted + extra to grease tin
- Grease and line a 9” cake tin. Heat oven to 180C with a rack in the middle.
- Mix together dry ingredients (first five in list).
- Mix together wet ingredients (last five in list).
- Incorporate wets into dries, just until no dry patches are left. Do not over-mix.
- Pour into prepared tin, level off and bake 50 mins or until just cooked through and golden brown.
- Let cool in tin 15 mins then carefully turn out to finish cooling on a rack.
Read more about rhubarb…